Under general direction of the Mechanical Engineering Manager, perform mechanical engineering work related to the planning, design, and assembly of complex optical systems. This may include creating documentation for the manufacturing and assembly of components as well as coordinating projects with clients, evaluating requests for changes, and performing related work as required.
- Create manufacturable opto-mechanical systems from concepts developed between our clients and our optical engineers.
- Use SolidWorks or other 3D modeling software to create accurate prototypes.
- Conduct a review process directly with clients to ensure the design meets all their requirements.
- Assignments may include ground up product design or development of legacy projects under the guidance of a Senior Engineer.
- Generate and update detail drawings, assembly procedures, bill of materials, and all other engineering documentation to ensure consistent manufacturability and overall product quality.
- Work with sales to supervise the mechanical side of optical assemblies during the quotation phase, ensuring projects are manufacturable and will be within budget estimates.
- Conducts complex engineering studies to evaluate alternatives and make recommendations.
- Work on new and current products to establish fixturing requirements and application-specific test protocol for necessary test equipment.
- Understand the level of acceptable quality for each project deliverables.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or mechanical engineering technology.
- Strong background in the 3D modeling of mechanical assemblies at the micron-level.
- Can create and interpret detail drawings for prototypes and production parts according to ASME Y14.5M.
- Able to evaluate detail drawings to ensure functionality and minimize tolerance stacks.
- Technical writing skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of management, as well as with clients, and between manufacturing departments.
- Easily build relationships with others, gaining trust and support, finding common ground, and using team-based approaches to solve problems and achieve goals.
- Two years engineering experience in a design or manufacturing environment.
- Understanding of FEA software and its application.
- Knowledge of optical design and principles.
- Familiarity with subtractive and additive manufacturing methods.
- Ability to use common metrology devices, including CMMs, to verify parts are within tolerance.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Experience in a machine shop (CAM programing, turning, and milling).
- Good with their hands, capacity to assemble, test, and trouble shoot products.
- Small business work environment.
- Work involves continuous interaction with co-workers within a fast-paced, rapid prototyping environment.
- Help to bring dozens of one of a kind optical solutions into reality each year.
- Special Optics includes a polishing department that can generate various optics from scratch, a coating department, a machine shop, and an assembly and testing facility that allows us to manufacture complete optical systems in house.
- Responsible for moving and lifting an average of 1-5 pounds with a maximum weight lifted of 50 pounds occasionally.
Full-time position reporting to Mechanical Engineering Manager.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.