Special Optics is seeking a talented and motivated optics professional to handle optical assembly, inspection, and testing.
Perform dimensional inspection on a diversity of standard and/or critical lenses and lens assemblies in the Optics inspection area.
Perform a variety of technical functions related to the calibration, alignment, fabrication, assembly and modification of optical assemblies in accordance with established practices, procedures and product/process documentation. Perform system-level testing of assemblies for image quality, transmission as well as component testing for reflectance, interferometric surface profiling and coating spectrum evaluation. This position requires the ability to operate analysis equipment and perform tests by following established procedures.
- Perform visual inspection of optics for defects related to fabrication
- Perform optical tests, including interferometric tests, as applicable to determine compliance to specifications
- Approve incoming materials by confirming specifications, conducting visual and measurement tests, rejecting and returning unacceptable materials
- Approve in-process production by confirming specifications, conducting visual and measurement tests, communicating required adjustments to production supervisor.
- Approve finished products by confirming specification, conducting visual and measurement tests, returning products for re-work; confirming re-work
- Document inspection results by completing reports and logs; summarizing re-work and waste; inputting data into quality database
- Perform final dimensional inspection of lenses, legend cards for conformance to blueprints and engineering specifications
- Process and complete required quality documentation
- Develop/improve processes and techniques for blocking, manufacturing and inspection of optics in collaboration with opticians in order to improve quality/yields
- Approve or reject products and/or components
- Support calibration activities in all functional areas of optical testing department
- Provide assembly test support for production as well as first article testing
- Maintain records for all testing and calibration in accordance with good manufacturing practices (GMP) and ISO requirements
- Provides rapid turn-around support as requested for OEM test work
Clean and inspect optical components and mounts and assemble optical doublets, triplets, sub-assemblies and final assemblies and test to final requirements. This job requires excellent visual acuity and manual dexterity. The ability to follow work instructions and the ability to make decisions at various stages of assembly are keys to success for this position.
- Clean and inspect optical components and mounts
- Use of MIL spec to inspect optical components with clear apertures
- Ability to read engineering drawings to determine specs
- Assemble and bond optical doublets and triplets according to procedures
- Use of optical-grade adhesives
- Use of various assembly tools and techniques for alignment of optics
- Post-alignment/assembly cleaning and inspection
- Assemble and bond lens elements within mounts and barrels according to procedures
- Perform surface accuracy testing on semi-finished parts via interferometer
- Perform angular testing on semi-finished parts via auto collimation
- Techniques for mounting and bonding lens elements within barrels – active alignment
- Maintain assembly tools and area in accordance with manufacturing practices
- Complete and charge time to work orders, maintain job specific paperwork
- Follow and assume authority over others to enforce clean room protocols
- Working knowledge of optics, optical elements and optical test set ups
- Experience using interferometers, various gauges and instruments
- Knowledge of good manufacturing practices (GMP), ISO, Bills of Materials, opto-mechanical principles, and the handling , cleaning and inspection of optical components
- Good manual dexterity and visual acuity
- Must be a self-starter capable of working with minimal direction
- Ability to contribute as an individual and as a team member
- Proficient math and computer skills
- Ability to follow directions and procedures
- Good communication skills
- Analytical troubleshooting / problem solving
- Decision making and time management skills
- Attention to detail and patience
- Must have quality background
- Optical manufacturing experience a plus
Associates degree and 4 to 8 years experience in optics or related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Special Optics offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience.
Qualified applicants should email, fax, or send resumes to: Special Optics, Inc. 3 Stewart Court, Denville, NJ 07834 Fax: (973) 366-7407 or email to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Special Optics is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are selected on the basis of demonstrated ability, experience, training and potential. It is the company's policy to select qualified persons without prejudice or discrimination and to comply with all federal, state and local laws and regulations in relation to hiring.