We are seeking a highly motivated individual to fill our open Optical Technician position. This person would perform all optical polishing processes in the manufacture of precision lenses and other optics elements.
- Perform manual and CNC assisted, grinding, and polishing precision sphere lenses and plano diameter from 2-350mm.
- Set up, operate, and maintain polishing equipment - as well as having experience with interferometers, spherometer, autocollimators, and test plates
- Radii 3mm to infinity on a range of optical glasses and crystal materials including MgF2, CaF2, ZnSe and Ge
- Capable of surface quality 10-5, Irregularity λ/20, Power 1 fringe
- Able to follow procedures for CNC and non-CNC equipment including generating, edging and polishing on pitch.
- Use measurement devices including test plates and Zygo interferometers.
- Interpret and comprehend lens specifications from blue prints, drawings work orders and verbal instructions
- Select premixed compounds or mixes grinding, polishing, and holding compounds according to formula
- Mount work piece on holding fixtures, using adhesive, friction, or vacuum; Optical contact
- High school diploma with strong math skills, or AA or BA/BS degree, as well as additional vocational training in manufacturing, machining or equivalent is highly desirable
- Experience with CNC machining a plus, experience with Conventional Pitch Polishing required
- Knowledge of precision optics manufacturing techniques preferred
- Use of physical measurement devices including micrometers, calipers and dial indicators
- Minimum 6 to 10 years experience in an optical polishing facility or equivalent
- Basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to multi-task, keen attention to detail, possess excellent hand/eye coordination, manual dexterity and spatial skills
- Interpersonal skills to communicate and collaborate with co-workers and staff
Special Optics offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience. Relocation assistance may be available if necessary. Qualified applicants should email, fax, or send resumes to: Special Optics, 3 Stewart Court, Denville, NJ 07834. Fax: 973-366-7407 or firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Special Optics is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are selected on the basis of demonstrated ability, experience, training and potential. It is the company's policy to select qualified persons without prejudice or discrimination and to comply with all federal, state and local laws and regulations in relation to hiring.